July 26 | 7:30-8:20 EDT/13:30-14:20 CET
Watch the session in French.
This UN Food Systems Pre-Summit Affiliated Session, Financing for Food Security: Smallholder Priorities in the Global Effort to End Hunger, is organized by GAFSP in partnership with the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), Asian Farmers’ Association (AFA) and the Network of Peasant Organizations and Agricultural Producers in West Africa (ROPPA).
This event will bring together smallholder farmers, country representatives, and other partners to speak to their experiences in accessing financing through programs such as GAFSP. They will share how ideas were cultivated, financed, and turned into services in their communities. We will also hear about the challenges they faced, and how targeted public and private financing could help address their needs and priorities more effectively. Discussants will also speak about GAFSP’s ongoing Call for Proposals, offering both Producer Organization and Country-led grants, to support COVID-19 response and recovery as well as climate resilience solutions, and why it marks a positive shift in how we work in partnership with farmers moving forward.
- Mr. Dirk Schattschneider, Assistant Director General for Food, Rural Development, Africa Natural Resources, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and GAFSP Steering Committee Chair
- Mr. Ibrahima Coulibaly, President, Network of Peasant Organizations and Agricultural Producers in West Africa (ROPPA) and GAFSP Steering Committee Civil Society Representative
- Ms. Karen Johnson, Trade Preferences Policy Manager, UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
- Honorable Salifou Ouédraogo, Minister of Agriculture and Hydro-agricultural Development, Burkina Faso
- Ms. Marie Clarke, Vice President for Programs, Women for Women International